Sunday, August 21, 2011

Moby Dick by Herman Melville

This has got to be one of my most favorite books of all time. But confession time. I've never actually read the book. I've only listened to it twice. This time I wondered if I'd get all the way through, but it was as wonderful as the first time. Melville has a way with words that transport you out of your world into the life of the whaler. Apparently there are all kinds of life meaning in the characters and how they interact - including the whale. Google it sometime. But I take it just as an adventure story about a young man who goes to sea on a whaling ship with a strange captain named Ahab, who happens to be obsessed with catching a white whale called Moby Dick. It's full of big words that I really don't know the meaning of. Maybe one day I'll actually read a hard copy and look those words up. For now though, I'll savour it just for what it is - one whale of a tale. (sorry, couldn't resist). If you do listen to it, the version narrated by William Hootkins is fantastic.

1 comment:

  1. As long as it's confession time I will go ahead and admit to the fact that I have never actually read this book (or listened to it either). Maybe I will try it on my Kindle. That way I can use the dictionary feature to instantly look up the definitions to the big words.

    ReplyDelete